Yes, as aware patients we all have a couple of questions, before proceeding for any major surgery. Here we have compiled for you a list of questions, which will help you be better prepared for the surgery. Prior to any surgery it is important to have clarity on the arrangements to be made pre and post the procedure. You should have realistic expectations from the surgical procedure and be ready for an adverse outcome if any. Clarification of all doubts ensures readiness of the patient before the procedure. Also you as a patient are able to sort out your logistical arrangements at home and systemize your social calendar. In case you are visiting from out of city for the procedure a better understanding of the complications, device management (if any), post operative care and doctor visits are pre planned you can save on unnecessary inconvenience and plan your expenses also accordingly.
Any and all orthopaedic treatments primarily aim at providing the patient with relief in pain and restoring function to damaged/diseased joint. The treatment plan is drafted and designed to include the considerations of various factors like the patient’s age, their activity routine/level and overall health of the patient. When patient has no relief from non-surgical interventions like physiotherapy and oral /injected medication, the final solution is an total joint replacement surgical procedure.
In this procedure your doctor and the medical team come together to perform the surgery and for post surgery care. You should never have any hesitation in asking all and any queries that you might have for pre-surgery preparation, surgery outcome/risks and post surgery follow up care.
Here is a list of questions you can refer to which help you ask relevant questions to your surgeon and help you in having a fruitful discussion with the doctor.
- What are the associated risks/complications – most common and major complications from this surgical procedure?
- How important is the experience & surgical skill of the surgeon for the success of the surgery for putting the implant/device?
- What are the risk and complication development percentage during and pot procedure outcome?
- What are the risks if the surgery is not performed – medically and socially to my lifestyle?
- How much pain would I feel during and post procedure and what pain management would be done at the hospital and post discharge?
- What is the life span of the implant/device and how do I increase it’s life?
- Minimally invasive surgery – is it really beneficial and how?
- How will the surgery affect my daily routine or daily functions?
- Is physiotherapy necessary post surgery and for how long?
- What would be the duration of my hospital stay?
- How will I contact you post discharge for any immediate medical emergency?
- Will I need assistance with any of my daily tasks post surgery and for how long?
Please do not hesitate to discuss your queries with your surgeon to help you sail through the surgery without any hiccup.
Dr L Tomar has vast experience of performing joint replacement surgeries in a span of 23 years and given news lease of life to thousand of patient who have undergone for Hip or Knee Replacement surgery.